Saturday, May 06, 2006

Silent Hill Review

Tonight Zhombie, Dork and I all piled into my car and went to see Silent Hill at the Kino. I think the movie fucking rocked!!!

Essentially they took the first and second Silent Hill games and combined them into a script for the plot of the movie. This doesn't surprise me considering other movies have done essentially the same thing and have been successful. It's the time-old formula that has always been proven to work. They got the little nuances right too - the fog, the gore, the scene in the school bathroom with the guy strung up in the barbed wire and even that Pyramid Head dude too. Of course let's not forget the nurses, the white noise from the radio or the demonic babies either. I'm glad to say the movie did the video game series justice.

My only gripe is that I envisioned Silent Hill to be located in New Jersey, especially upper New Jersey in the pine barrens. If you've ever been up there, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about and why a town like Silent Hill would fit there perfectly. Plus, New Jersey is home to the Jersey Devil, which could also be the demon referenced in the games and movie. In the movie it turns out Silent Hill is located in West Virginia. I'm splitting hairs over something so stupid but goddammit for the longest time I've been telling complete strangers that's where I'm from on the My Space profile I have!

Zhombie and Dork both liked the film as well, and since neither of them have played the game, it's totally awesome they dig it. I hope they make a sequel but most likely they won't. I will go grab it once it makes its way to DVD, and unlike the DOOM movie I have, it won't sit in the original wrapping unopened. Once the movie let out I was somewhat disappointed that I really couldn't relate more to this experience with my friends the way I wanted to. Eh. I suppose that's the price that comes with being a pioneer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Machine said...

Goddamned right.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ignore these four words