Monday, January 23, 2006

R.I.P Chair-Force

R.I.P Chair-Force.com

Yes, this infamous website passed away this past weekend due to lack of funding. It was fun while it lasted and it will truly be missed as a great outlet to vent the dirty laundry of the military and to just have fun all around.

I joined almost 2 years ago (it was March 2004) after getting a link from my bud Tenacious D at Misawa. D introduced me to the site and I got hooked instantly - the stories of JoeTheFat were legendary! I mean this guy was funny as Hell and got his break through Tucker Max. Here you had this guy who had balls the size of the Rock of Gibraltar and pissed everyone off in his chain of command by basically stating the truth - Springer style. No sacred cow was left uncooked and attacked everything from the bullshit bureaucracy that plagues the system to the people who generate it and reinforce it. If there was a Joan of Arc from the Trailer Park, it was definitely JoeTheFat.

Well, nothing goes without consequence and he ended up taking one for the team. Before you knew it, he was getting kicked out over some bullshit. Technically they couldn't stop him from this larger-than-life monument to truly not giving a shit, however they chose to make his life miserable every which way they could - and did. Joe went from Patron Saint to Most Hated overnight and before he knew it, he was out. A shame too. Like the legendary Prometheus he had stolen fire from the gods and as a result it was snuffed out in the end. His presence on the board became less and less as his time apart from the military grew more and more. Finally Crazy Girl, his girlfriend took over as the primary Administrator for the site until she finally made the announcement it was going to close up permanently, which really sucks. But people move on with their lives and all good things eventually come to an end.

I will really miss checking the website daily. It was a HUGE morale booster when I was in Japan and an even GREATER source of relief this past year in Korea. I told him this directly when I went to go visit them both just this past August and how much we're indebted to him for making something so genius. I hope that the site will change hands since there are some people interested in buying the domain but I don't think it will happen. Tragedy really.

I was really pissed when Michael Eisner of former Disney notoriety closed down the Webchat Broadcasting Service (WBS) in 1999. He was convinced that despite 3 million registered users that it just wasn't in the company's best interest to dump more money into the project and make it grow. As a result I refuse to purchase anything Disney related no matter how funny or cool it might seem. He fucking alienated his crowd and look where he is now. While I hold no bones against Joe or anyone else from Chair-Force, I'll be just as upset if nothing else pops up to replace it. I suppose there's always the Satannet messageboard that I haven't been to in ages, although to be honest I've lost interest in what alot of people have to say. I figure I've been doing my own thing for so long and it's been working, so stick with what I know.

Anycase, rest in peace Chair-Force.com. You were one on equal footing with EvilDave.com and Cattygoths.


Salut.

3 Comments:

Blogger AFeskimo said...

Lack of interest from its creator...but I loved it...and I miss it. I'm not sure anything will replace it, though. It wouldn't be the same.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Ruckus said...

i guess that it is hard to continually have great stories when you are not able to have the same first hand knowledge that you once had. too bad, it was fucking hilarious:)

10:58 AM  
Blogger AFeskimo said...

Yea, I know. That's the way things work for me, it seems.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ignore these four words